Two of my close girl friends and I have a good laugh whenever any of us makes this recipe. The saying goes that there are people who come into our lives simply to teach us something, after which they inevitably leave. Well, a few of my friend’s ex-boyfriends have each left a recipe we all love and this one is from one of them. 😉
Serves 2 to 4 people
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 500g baby spinach (or as much as you like), chopped
- 150g green lentils, uncooked
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Fresh chilli, chopped
- Chilli powder or flakes
- 1 pot Greek yoghurt
- 25g butter
- 5-7 large brown mushrooms (optional)
- Cayenne pepper
- Pili pili powder
- Salt and mixed pepper
- In a pan, sauté the onions. Add the mushrooms (optional) and then the spinach and cook for a few minutes. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, cayenne, pili pili, chopped fresh chilli (adjust according to your spice preference).
- Add the lentils into the pan. Add enough water for the lentils to cook. Cover and leave to simmer and cook until lentils are done.
- In a smaller pan, melt the butter and add the chilli flakes. Adjust to spice preference.
- Serve in a bowl, top with Greek yoghurt and the butter chilli mixture.